Just sharing some of my notes from the book I’m currently reading: “THE PRACTICE OF GODLINESS”
CHAPTER 8: THANKFULNESS
· Thanksgiving promotes the glory of God and humility in us.
· We usually give in to the temptation of taking the credit that rightfully belongs to God
Deuteronomy 8:13-14: “and when your herds and flocks grow large and your silver and gold increase and all you have is multiplied, then your heart will become proud and you will forget the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.”
Deuteronomy 8:17-18: “You may say to yourself: ‘My power and the strength of my hands have produced this wealth for me’ but remember the Lord your God, for it is He who gives you the ability to produce wealth, and so confirms this covenant, which he swore to your forefathers as it is today.”
· Thanksgiving stimulates our faith.
It gives credit where credit is due and expresses that apart from Christ, we are nothing.
· Remembering God’s mercies encourages us to trust Him for mercies we need today and tomorrow.
· Thanksgiving promotes CONTENTMENT.
Discontent is a result of the inner spiritual struggle between the sinful nature and the Holy Spirit.